Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Are there still Thomists?


Today, I would like to provide an argument in favor of the Tridentine Mass. Surprised?..

This Saturday I was told that the religious group, Home of the Mother, celebrates Mass according to the '62 sometimes. Well, good. I told the person "that Mass will bring your religious order and the world many graces." I was expecting a "yeah, I know, right!" but instead I got an "all Masses bring graces. There is only one Mass, you know that, Alex."

It was clear that my reputation precedes me...
I laughed to my self, and had to admit that with every true Mass comes infinite graces. But on my way home, I thought of an argument...

Studying St. Thomas' Summa, at our last chapter meeting, the question of why we have different Masses (I.e. Mass for the dead, Mass for the election of a pope, Mass in honour of the Blessed Virgin, the saint of the day, etc.) was the topic. The answer the Angelic Doctor gives is that the Mass is two things. First and foremost a Sacrifice. It is the same Sacrifice in any valid Mass (A Tridentine Mass, a Novus Ordo Mass, yes, even a Black Mass) Second, the Mass is a prayer. And it is THEE highest form of prayer possible. This is what makes the Masses different. Some are for some intentions, some are for others. And as we all know, some prayers are more pleasing to God, because of how they are offered. One form of the Roman Rite undoubtedly makes the sacrificial nature of the Mass more concise and clear. The more direct our intention is, and the better we prepare ourselves for the prayer; the better it is for us and He Who Is. If you take a the Mass codified by St. Pius V and you take even the best, most conservative, Latin Mass of Paul VI there's still trouble (Google the Ottaviani Intervention if you don't believe me.) Then, if you take the Tridentine Rite, and compare it to a Vulgar mistranslated (not even close) Mass,-full of women readers,-"Eucharistic ministers,"-priest dishing out Communion in the hand saying "Good morning, Bill, Body of Christ"-folk guitar, drums and chimes -and people shaking hands and throwing out peace signs... its simply not comparable. Let me ask you this.

Why are there two forms of one rite? Why is there an Old Rite at all. If two things are the same, that means there is no difference. "Six of one, Half dozen of the other", right? If there is no difference in the "extraordinary form" and the Novus Ordo, why did the bishop of my diocese turn away the Fraternity of St. Peter? Why wont he provide funds for priests who want to learn the ancient Roman Rite? Isn't it the same Mass, Your Excellency? Or is it a waste of time? Is he scared of a Parish that preaches Purgatory, that teaches from the Catechism of St. Pius X, that has a Dominican community which practices penance and true Dominican Spirituality?

Apples and Apples, or Apples and Oranges? Happy feast of St. John of the Cross.

St. Thomas, pray for us.
St. Dominic, pray for us.
St. John of the Cross, my Confirmation patron, pray for us.

2 comments:

  1. JM + JD

    Well spoken Fra.....
    well spoken indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if infinite graces are given at a Black Mass? Father admitted that if the priest had the intention to consecrate, it would be the same sacrifice. Scary stuff

    Thank you, my Irish friend, some of our coffee talk is in this blog post.

    ReplyDelete