Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Saturday, February 27, 2010

A commentary on United We Stand

I happen to live in the New World's oldest diocese. My bishop turns 75 this year. In the March issue of the monthly magazine our fair diocese puts out His Excellency has a column... and this is what he writes.

"...As some of you already know, this September I will celebrate my 75 birthday, which according to church law is the canonical age for a bishop to submit his letter of resignation...
As the end to my tenure draws near, I do have one desire that I long to see realized in our diocese- harmonious union."
He cites St. Paul. "...so that there should be no division among the members... If one part suffers, every part suffers... if one part is honored, every part rejoices."

I can think of a little chapel that is suffering now. If it would only but be honored, the whole Church universal would rejoice!

My Bishop goes on to quote St. Paul and St. Augustine (and I'll italicize what he italicizes) "no division among the members... union, but not uniformity," and "in all things charity."

His Excelency remembers Christs prayer before the Agony in the Garden. Is his wish Christ's wish? "May they be one in us."

I will leave you with the bishop's warning. "How can we expect to achieve the unity Jesus desired among the split divisions of Christianity if the parishes continue to harbor an 'us versus them' mentality?... Without the parishes, there is no diocese; and without the diocese there are no parishes- just a mass of congregational assemblies... There is no finer gift you could give me than for all the parishes to work in harmony with the diocese so that together we may make the unity that Jesus prayed for."

hmmm....

St. Paul, pray for us
St. Agustine, pray for us
St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment