Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Name Game

The Four Temperaments are quite a useful tool in squeezing the most out of life. They help you win over others, they show you the strengths and weaknesses in your self, they give insight to the way the world goes 'round. It is a sneaky way to cut at some ones being. A great way to continue a conversation (and a light way of judging people) To conquer your own shows who is boss.

The Choleric gets stuff done. All of the dictators and conquers of history were cholerics. If you're not first, you're last, and its their way or the highway. They can be the greatest saints, or the worst sinners. They get excited easily, and it will make a lasting impression. Pride is their downfall, but there is not a better temperament to get others to Heaven.

The Sanguine is carefree and not the deepest group of people. Mirrors are their best friend and they get exited easily, too. However, after something looses its novelty, the Sanguine is ready to move on to something newer and more shiny. They talk just to talk (to hear their own beautiful voice) and forget why they started talking. They help others because they can be very empathetic, but first, they must help themselves. Quite the active temperament.

The Melancholic can be characterized as serious and careful. They are slow to get excited, but after they process the person, place, thing or idea, the impression is lasting. When put on the spot, they know what they want to say, but can not make it sound just right. The old saying "the glass is half empty" applies to melancholic outlook, but they make up (I dare say) the mojority of the saints.

The Phlegmatic is a passive type and needs encouraging. They don't excite very easily and are more forgiving. A wrong first impression with this temperament, and you're not totally dead just yet. Spanking Plegmatics as kids is more acceptable, because the emotional scares are not deep. This temperament is almost like the absence of the above three. Phlegmatics just have to work a little harder than most.

I find myself to be Melancholic. A couple of examples why. Friday was my birthday and I had people over. I knew it was going to rain, and sure enough it did (monsoon like.) I used too much power from the single outlet in the garage, and it blew. It did not surprise me. I will remember why I do not like people and it sticks for no reason. I get tongue tied all the time, etc.

A matter of interest... I get along with Choleric Catholics, but can not stand them if there is no God in a Choleric. I have a really hard time with Sanguine Catholics, but I get the carefreeness of a non-Christian sanguine, and find it amusing and a curiously disgusting. I now have a little better understanding for Catholic Melancholics. We are a little hard on ourselves, but we need to be. But what I dont understand is the non-believing Melancholic. Why be hard on yourself if you there is no God. Why not eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow may never come? I think I would agree with the plegmatic outlook if I didn't have hope for an eternal life. What would be the point of being powerful or popular?

The Temperaments were studied so that we may overcome the shortfalls of our own. The saints embraced the intrinsic good built into their style, and strove for the goods in the others. We should do the same. I have many more thoughts, but want to hear everybody else's!

No comments:

Post a Comment