Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Sunday, October 18, 2009

An outside view of the Old Rite part II

I talked to a priest friend today (Ill call him Rev. Father) and it gave me something to think about.
Going back a couple of weeks ago you might find a blog concerning a Novus Ordo priest and his thoughts (as best as I can remember them) on the Old Roman Rite. His stance was that since people must go out of their way to hear the Traditional Latin Mass, of course you're not going to run into people who are "texting on their cell phones and ducking out early" because they want to be there.
Rev. Father doesnt buy the first priest's stance that "if the Old Mass "was it," people would still be texting and leaving early." He states that he has invited young kids in the past to hear Mass who have only heared Mass said in the New Order. They were shocked by the Holy Silence and maintained it. Good. I should hope so.
But, what part I agree with from the first priests idea that if starting today every preist said the Mass in Latin from the 1962 missal in their own parrish, you're going to have people that do not want to be there. You will always have people who see Mass as a chore. You will always have people who have football on the brain, and are just trying to wait till everybody starts going to Communion so they can sneak out without anyone seeing them. God sees them, and sees their hearts.
Statistically, if all of lets say...the US.... hears the TLM today, you, by default, have people that just plain dont care if they kneel in front of The Almighty. If Rev. Father doesn't believe that, then I would say that I have seen it in my little church. I have seen someone my age get up, turn his back during the Consecration and walk out. Come back in and sit down only to leave before St. John 1:13. He didn't know whats going on. He didn't want to be there, and if he did, then I am being very uncharitable writing this.
I am just going to say that attending only the Traditional Latin Mass doesnt automatically make us St. Dominic Savio. There is something deeper to it. All the world celebrating the TLM isn't going to fix all of us sinners. Its not pushing a magic button that solves the current crisis. But that is not to say we shouldnt strive to have the TLM said on every alter for the glory of God. I think the Old Rite is the weapon of choice to combat Modernism.

We must remember what happens in one Mass on our on little Calvary is enough to fix the problem of today.

How do we fix something that is broken because it was fixed when it was not?
By prayer!
By saying yes to graces that are showered upon us every day.
By living a good life imitating Our Lord and His Saints.
By spreading the Gospel (and when necessary using words.)
By going to Confession and approaching Our Savior in the True Presence of the Blessed Sacrament in the Holy Eucharist with a clean and pure heart.
By not being passive and letting people get away with Sacrilege inside the Church.
By seeking the Truth, and celebrating it as it is the only thing that matters.
By letting the old man die, and putting on the new.

I would like to end with a short prayer.
Dear Blessed Trinity, awaken my heart. Remove all traces of sin in me. Let me subject myself to You. Let my heart, mind and soul be one with You, especially during the Sacrifice of the Mass. May I grow in love for You and for Our Lady. I ask that she may take me in as a refugee who turned himself away from the wicked world. Give us time to make amends and grant that I may not take Your gift of Faith for granted.

May Our Lord and Lady keep you well,
Saint Dominic Savio, pray for us.
Saint Luke, Pray for us!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed that the Traditional Rite does not prevent people from walking out, nor does is it going to turn everyone into a saint without the cooperation of those who attend it. But then again, the purpose of the Mass is not to entertain people so as to keep those who are Catholic in name only in their seats. It is to glorify God by the re-presentation of Christ's Sacrifice and to prepare men so as to worthily receive the grace of the Sacrament.

    It is hardly an argument in favour of the New Rite to say that it keeps the godless attending it still godless. The real question is whether it is centered on God first, and whether it prepares those worshipping to approach God with fitting reverence. The fact that the godless go to the New Rite and are allowed to remain godless by a lack of due reverence is quite a problem.

    ReplyDelete