Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Saturday, October 10, 2009

An outside view of the Old Rite

I had a discussion with a priest from the New Order. Some things he said made some sense. This was the gist of the conversation.
I asked him if he said the Old Rite. He told me he didn't, but where I could find one. He asked me where I attend Mass; I told him. He asked me why I love the old form of the way Holy Mass is celebrated. This was a strait forward question...
My answer was "reverence." The question was not "whats wrong with the Novus Ordo." So I had to hold back what was on the tip of my tongue.
I told him how my senses are at peace in the solemn silence... how I am on guard at the few times Ive heard Mass in the Novus Ordo, and just when I drop my defenses, I look to my right and someone is texting, and I look to the left, and someone is ducking out early. Father seemed to be familiar and he gave me an opinion that was actually satisfactory.
(not exact quotation)
"The way the Mass was celebrated before the Second Vatican Council is called the Extraordinary Form. It is called that because you have to go beyond whats "ordinary" to [go.] If everybody was forced to go to that rite, then you would have the same problem (with people on their phone and ducking out early.)"
I can agree with that.
He then praised the reverence and piety of those who go out of their way to hold fast.
However, then he goes on to tell me the "but."
The one time he heared Holy Mass celebrated in the Traditional Roman Rite he felt removed. Through his experience he ascertained that other people didn't feel like they were a part of the Mass. They didnt co-offer themselves with the priest. I said I was sorry (I didn't know what else to say.) I pointed out that the priest says "Pray brethern, that MY SACRIFICE AND YOURS, and the alterboy says "ad utilitatem quoque nostram" which means "for our advantage."
Growing up with the New Mass, the priest saw old people kneel through the Sacrifice never lifting their eyes or detaching their fingers from the Rosary. He saw this as the remnant of the old folks that were so used to the Old Mass. The spirit of Vad II was to get people more involved.
I must have looked stupid standing there with my mouth open.
This is what I think.
I think that its up to everybody's own self to know whats going on. They need to know their Faith, and if they want to go kneel through the Mass, that's their business. That's on them. I don't know whats going on in their mind. I can only account for me. A sacrifice is happening! Is this a Sacrament, or is this a service where were trying to get everybody to feel good? To be completely honest, I usually feel really bad during Mass. I realize how my sins have offended God. Then I feel better because of Hope and then my life opens up to joy.
I thanked the good priest for his time. He asked me to pray for priests. I can agree with that, too.

Allow me to wrap things up with a short prayer.
Oh my Jesus, may we hear Your Holy Sacrifice with more fervor. May we offer 100% of ourselves to you. Your Saint Alphonsus says "never permit me to offend Thee again, grant that I may love Thee always, and then do with me what that wilt." Please help those who hear Your Mass half-heartidly, that they may Love God with their whole being. Make us love You more, and then make us Your examples. Also, call young men who will serve You and us well to your priesthood. Strengthen their lives and keep them in Your favor.
Amen!
May Our Lord and Lady keep you all well

No comments:

Post a Comment