Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Saturday, October 17, 2009

where the wild things are not

This movie was bad. If you are planning on seeing it, do not read the rest of this. I would not want to spoil anything.


The kid is a brat. He disobeys his mother. Runs away from home (not just sent to bed without supper.) Goes on his little adventure where I hope he learned something (I don't buy the "we got to stick together" message). Then he returns home. He does not say he is sorry, and his mom gives him cake and milk.
That was it.
There was a scene where the teacher is talking about how the world was going to end. The sun was going to engulf the planets and then die. The teacher was going on about tidal waves and earthquakes to a seven year old and his class mates. I looked around to see if anybody else was seeing this.
Well, I guess its hard to turn a 10 page book into a 95 minute movie. The book wasn't very deep and the film tried to convey that Max had all these background stories and ideas to justify his shallow lines.
The book was popular when I was at that reading level. Its been out since the 60's. I wonder which audience the film makers were shooting for. Is the movie made for kids or the kids inside all of us? The kid inside me wanted to walk out of the movie theater. I wouldn't take my child.
Maybe I no longer posses imagination.
To be completely honest, if I reread the book, I would probably not like it.
What will be ruined next, The Hungry Caterpillar?

No comments:

Post a Comment