Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Gift of Baptism!

I saw the most beautiful baptism. It was of an adult (a girl about my age) who was born unto Eternal Life last Wednesday on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. A brief description of the 48 min ceremony.
She was questioned in the vestibule ("outside the Church").
What do you seek? Do you renounce Satan? Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, etc? She knelt down three diffrent times and said the Lord's Prayer each by rising and saying Amen. Tasted the salt of wisdom, and after about 30 minutes of exorcisms, she was ready to be brought into the church. About half way into the nave, she laid prostrate for a few moments. This is when I was a little overwhelmed. I couldn't begin to imagine what was going through her mind, but I can tell you what was going through mine. I just wanted to lay on the ground with her, adore God, tell Him I was sorry for everything I have done to hurt him since my baptism. Promise Him that I would be a good tabernacle for Him to reign from, that I would rather die like Saint Bartholomew then to loose what was about to be given to me. Then I gave thanks, and was so happy that anyone (including me, the biggest sinner I know) could renew the promises of Baptism with one good Confession. She then arose, looking stronger than ever. We all said the Creed. Her ears were open with saliva, her breast and back were anointed with oil. At last, she moved on to the baptismal font. She was anointed one last time, then Baptized in the Name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. A candle was given to her, and she donned the white garment of new Christians.

We can all be as pure as this dove. With a proper examination of conscience, and true contrition for our sins, and the Sacrament of Penance, we will be reconciled to Our Father who is in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment