Holy Fathers Francis and Dominic

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Recent thoughts

I wanted to break from the Vatican II series for one more post, and share some thoughts. I saw some pictures recently from a Catholic group on Campus. The pictures were of a Christmas party that was celebrated on Dec. 2nd (the first day of Chanukkah, not that that has anything to do with anything.) Some of my friends dressed up like buffoons, literally ripping up a present. And cheering them on, on all fours (unless he was looking for a lost contact) was a clergyman. I don't know what else to write. I'll try, but what do I say? "What am I doing hanging out with this group" is a start.
They were four days into Advent, and already couldn't stop themselves from opening a present. I don't know what was in there, but I hope it was worth it. St. Nick stopped by... excuse me, Santa. Maybe he was called St. Nick, I hope not, I don't think St. Nicholas would be to happy with how he was portrayed at a "Catholic event." The pictures were sick, everybody was standing on chairs, giving high fives. Its like an extension of Life Teen. Could you imagine Our Lady standing on chairs, celebrating the birth of her Son three weeks early?
What do you call the age that is in between "Teen" and "Adult." Maybe "young-adult?" Well, whatever you want to call that age, no one was acting like it.

"When I was a child, I thought as a child, I spoke as a child. But when I became a man, I put away the things of a child." St. Paul tells us in his first Epistle to the Corinthians.

How will these poor kids grow spiritually if they are subjected to cake all the time. I don't buy the "not everybody is ready be a hard-core Catholic, so you have to compromise" argument. It is true, not everybody is ready. But don't piss on them and tell them it's raining. If you want to be Catholic, you must reject the world. Jesus Christ and every saint has taught that. What I saw in the pictures was "the world." I just pray that I have the strength to continue to avoid that stuff. I cannot wait until Christmastide, when I can worthily celebrate the Nativity. Until then, Ill keep saying the Joyful Mysteries. I hope you'll join me.

To end with a short prayer...
O Redeemer, born in humility, lived in humility, died in humility, teach me this virtue. Let me know where I stand before Thee. Let me not be intoxicated with the pleasures of the world in the season before Thy Nativity. Help me to avoid paganism and frivility. Grant me the grace to be charitable when I talk about Thee and defend Thy season of Advent. I'm sorry I typed a vulgar word up there, but I was angry. I hope this is justified anger. If it is not, purge me of it. Let me die to myself, so that I may reign with Thee, now, in Christmastide, and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment